Monday, June 10, 2013

City Girl Gone Country

So this City Girl has gone Country, and I am enjoying my simpler life on our Homestead!

I grew up actually in an Upstate New York suburb, living the high life in an upscale village. I shopped for food at the supermarket, drank lattes at the local coffee spot, shopped at the local mall. I dodged traffic in the family mini van, and worked meaningless jobs in order to pay for the frills of the high life. 

Everyday was the same, and I was expected to conform to the expectation of success; college graduate, important career, big house with the picket fence, and a family with 2.5 kids. However the stress of trying to fulfill the roles that women are expected to fill, and juggle this with perfection became a daunting task. I longed for simplicity and true happiness amidst the stress of everyday living. 

This is where my husband saved me from the life of conformity. The love for my husband brought me to the land of milk and honey, so he could follow his teaching career. Of course at that time, I went kicking and screaming! I did not want to leave the comforts of the Suburb and the entertainment of the City to end up in a Rural community. I was not ready to smell cow manure in the morning when taking my girls to school. My career path did not line up with living in the middle of farm country. This was a hard transition.

November 2012, our family bought our dream farmhouse. This has been the ultimate puzzle piece that was missing since I have acclimated to living a country life. It took fifteen years to get to this girl to truly understand the blessings of rural living, and I plan to share my journey here as a City to Country Girl!


No comments:

Post a Comment